We are Westminster Students’ Union, an independent membership-led organisation representative of all University of Westminster students. Our core function is to provide UoW students with opportunities that enhance their university experience – such as sports clubs, societies and student jobs – and to be a platform through which their voices can be heard.
Aside from all the amazing campaigns we run such as Freshers, Black History Month and Elections to name a few, we also offer an excellent Advice Service that is free, independent and impartial for all UoW students. If you run into any academic or housing issues during your time at University, you can schedule an appointment with a member of the advice team.
But that’s enough about us. We’d like to hear from you! Have a wander around our brand-new website for all the latest events, joining a student group, news articles and so much more.
If you have any queries or would like to get more information on anything not listed on the website, please get in touch via our chat function or message us on facebook.
“Our Wellbeing, Our Voice, Our Community”
The statement is intended to portray the joint two way relationship between its members rather than the Union simply being the provider of services and voice for students. The three key areas of the statement (Wellbeing, Voice and Community) are intended to give a clear signal that these are the ultimate priorities of the organisation moving forward.
The five proposed main gilding values of the Union are “Inclusive, Bold, Sustainable, Empowering and Open” which will shape the Unions approach to its planning, behaviour and attitudes. It is further proposed that the following elements of each value will be adopted:
- We will embrace and celebrate our diversity.
- We will champion people to achieve their potential.
- We will celebrate our diversity achievements.
- We will innovate and create exciting opportunities.
- We will become sector leading in everything we do.
- We will pave the way on how to engage students in a Union.
- We take actions to improve our environmental impact.
- We will take the required actions to become financially sustainable.
- We will ensure our stakeholder relationships are developed and maintained.
- We will empower all our members in everything we do.
- We will always be self-confident and inspirational.
- Will be developed and maintain power heroes through compassion.
- We will always be open to new ideas and ways of doing things.
- We will display the highest level of transparency.
- We will ensure we are accessible to all our members.
The strategic aims of UWSU will be structured around our new organisational structure - Voice, Wellbeing, Enterprise and Lifestyle - and will be complemented by clear sub brands of the organisation that will have a clear identity for our members and stakeholders to identify with.
1. Voice: We will ensure that every student can confidently elicit change in their student journey through empowerment, support and innovative voice and democratic structures.
2. Wellbeing: We will empower students and build their resilience through the delivery of inclusive and all-encompassing support for our members.
3. Enterprise: We will co-create and deliver relevant opportunities for our members that include diverse ambitions, ideas and, projects.
4. Lifestyle: We will fully engage students in our activities to ensure they can develop, formalise, and articulate employability skills gained through participation.
UWSU are committed to understanding the lives of our students and their experiences at university. In order to do this, we are proud members of the Student Life Pulse, an online survey specially developed for Students’ Unions in the UK. The study will track the experience of our students throughout the academic year, as well as their perceptions and experiences of the union itself. We’ll use the information collected to develop and plan our services for the future and act as the voice of our students.
Between October and June you will receive an email inviting you to take part by completing the online survey. We want to hear the views of as many of our students as possible, so we hope you can spare a few minutes to help us with this important research!
The questionnaire is being run by an independent research agency named Alterline. You can find their General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) policy here: http://alterline.co.uk/GDPR
Alterline is an accredited research company which follows all guidelines for data privacy and security. It only has enough information about you to conduct the research and it will not keep any of your personal information after the research is finished.
Any information you disclose will be treated in the strictest confidence and the results are anonymised, so no answers are attributable to any individuals.
If you have any questions about the research, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org